Carer Friendly Business Awards
Territory businesses showing they care.
Three Territory businesses were recognised in an Award ceremony on Friday, 18 October 2019 for their help and understanding of the needs of carers in the Northern Territory.
Recipients of the Awards are:
- Carer Friendly Employer - City of Palmerston Library
- Carer Friendly Service - Darwin Ice Skating Centre
- Carer Friendly Employee Ellen Wotley, ARRCS Community Care in Alice Springs.
The City of Palmerston Library was nominated by an employee for supporting an employee who cares for two sons and assists her mother who has terminal cancer. The employee said that the Library management made it easy for her to continue to do the work she loved, to take time out for her caring role and lead a normal life away from stresses.
Darwin Ice Skating stood out in what was a competitive field by demonstrating how they went out of their way to support carers and provide an excellent service. They are hospitable, caring and understanding.
Carer Friendly Employee, Ellen Wotley demonstrated a true understanding and compassion for carers’ needs. To quote her nomination, it said, that “Ellen Wotley brings to her work a thorough reasoning of solving problems, with her unique standards, heaped with tablespoons of genuine kindness and love of others, across cultures, regions and language groups. Ellen makes sure that carers are reassured and supported in their complicated life situations.”
The Carer Friendly Business Awards are held in the Northern Territory during National Carers Week with an aim to encourage businesses in to do more for carers – to be more understanding, more accommodating, and more flexible.
The three categories are defined as follows:
- Carer Friendly Employer is a business that employs a carer (usually the person nominating them)
- Carer Friendly Service is a mainstream business, (eg banks, mechanics, florists, pharmacies, doctors) OR a registered service provider or not-for-profit organisation that may be directly associated with the health and community care services sector (eg Regis, Life without Barriers etc)
- Carer Friendly Employee is for employees of a company or service provider that go the above and beyond standard business practice in helping carers.
To nominate a business or individual for a Carer-Friendly Business Award in 2020 complete the Nomination Form on this website on contact Carers NT.
For further information, contact the Carers NT on 8944 4888 or email nomination form to [email protected]