Carers NT volunteers make a vital contribution to all aspects of community life.
Over the years volunteers have played a critical role in empowering people and have assisted in building an inclusive community.
Carers NT volunteers are crucial in supporting carers in the Northern Territory, and we’re always looking for more volunteers to join us in Darwin, Katherine and Alice Springs.
Carers NT are a supportive, accessible and flexible organisation. If you choose to volunteer, you do it in your time. We are grateful for any time you can give.
You could volunteer to help with a wide variety of initiatives, including:
Carers NT community volunteers brighten many people’s lives by dropping in for a chat, a coffee, for an outing or just help out around the house for an hour or two. The community volunteer aims to decrease the social isolation and feeling of loneliness by facilitating clients to gain access to their community. At the end of a volunteer connection you walk away with a smile knowing that you have made a small difference in someone’s life.
Help out by assisting with the preparation of event materials, cooking a barbecue, driving the Carers NT mini bus, assist with set up and pack down and assist with catering at events such as our golf day, movie nights, carer support activities and Carers Week.
Help out in the Carers NT offices with project work, typing, data entry, filing, photocopying, mail outs, marketing and promotion, making follow-up calls, conducting surveys and research, checking of stock inventory and placing an order and completing research on the internet. You could also assist in providing support with existing and new computer programs, application and online content.
What will you get out of volunteering?
- Our volunteers are given full training and a formal induction so they feel valued and every bit apart of the Carers NT team.
- Build your skills, contribute to a workplace and increase your ‘employability’.
- New Australians can ‘skill up’ ready for their entry into the workforce.
- Make new friends, interact with different people, build your sense of self-worth, have a new purpose and feel good about contributing to your community in such a valuable way.
- Employees who ‘give back’ by volunteering are helping fulfill corporate community objectives in a meaningful way.
- All volunteers are fully insured and receive an induction and welcome pack.
- Scientifically it has been proven that volunteering helps to reduce stress, combat depression and keep you physically fit.
- Carers NT workplace is an inclusive environment. You will get an opportunity to strengthen positive relationships with the staff and community and bring in new perspectives/ideas.
There’s no ‘one type’ of volunteer. Our volunteers are:
- mums, dads and grandparents
- elderly people
- young people
- corporate teams
- and much more!
All volunteers must meet the following criteria.
- Willingness to undertake a Police Check
- Willingness to undertake a Working with Children Check (Ochre card)
- Must be of legal age ( due to the legal issues & insurance compliance)
- Commit for 6 months
- Ability to learn new skills and procedures
- Belief in the values of volunteering and Carers NT goals and objectives
- Ability to be flexible, reliable and punctual
- Ability to maintain private and confidential information
Would you like to know more? We’d love to talk to you!
Please contact us for a no-obligation chat about what you could help with.