Education & Training
Carers NT provides the opportunity for carers to increase their life
skills and qualifications which supports carers in their direct caring
Carers NT understands that at times carers are wanting to undertake training and educational courses that may be a direct benefit to their caring role, but are unable to do so due to their caring responsibilities.
Registered Carers may contact Carers NT on 1800 242 636 or 89 444 888 to enquire about assistance and respite options that may be available to carers who are wanting to participate in training and education.
Mental Health First Aid Courses
Mental Health First Aid, Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Mental Health First Aid is a training program that provides evidence based training that is authorised by Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) Australia and is delivered by accredited MHFA Instructors.
Please contact Carers NT on 1800 242 636 or 89 444 888 or visit the website MHFA Courses for further information about the Mental Health First Aid Courses.
For a list of the upcoming MHFA courses please contact Carers NT on 8944 4888 or click here (link) Mental Health First Aid Courses
Full Scheme Ahead - Carers NT NDIS Information Sessions and Workshops:
These sessions are designed to provide a Carers Guide to the NDIS.
Full Scheme Ahead Information Sessions:
- Provide an overview to the scheme
- Describe how the scheme interfaces with family carers, and
- Introduces processes such as testing eligibility, gathering evidence to make an application to the scheme.
This entry level introduction explains the pre-planning and planning process prior to receiving one’s first plan.
Participants will receive a folder containing slides from the presentation and supporting material published by the NDIS to support candidates through the process.
An interstate carer will also provide first-hand experience on navigating the NDIS.
This workshop is free for carers who are registered with Carers NT.
Moving Forward Early Intervention Workshops
These workshops are designed to provide a guide to Early Childhood Early Intervention overview to the NDIS relevant for 0-7 year age group requiring access to the NDIS.
- Provide an overview to Better Start / HCWA funding programs
- Provide an overview to the NDIS scheme
- Discusses the pathways of ECEI from previous ECEI funding to NDIS
- Provide an overview of advocacy and goal setting to initiate an application to NDIS which includes contacts for ECEI partners
- Are open to all carers/ parents of children 0-7 needing to know more about the pathway to NDIS
To register your interest visit Carers NT website https://carersnt.asn.au/events/ndis-info-sessions/or call our Mental Health Team on 1800 42 636 or 8944 8888.
Caring for Carers of People with Dementia
Overview of the project
The Caring for Carers of People with Dementia Project aims to provide support and information to isolated carers of older people with dementia living in regional and rural Australia. The chat-based group program allows carers to chat with other carers in a similar situation. Carers are invited to join weekly group video conference meetings from their home, and connect with other carers in a relaxed and informal atmosphere. Carers will have the opportunity to share information, experience and skills.
How the project works?
The learning and chat meetings will be led by a program facilitator. Carers are encouraged to use their own desktop computer, laptop, or tablet; the project can loan a tablet for the sessions, if needed.
Carers will need to be connected to the internet. Apart from charges
from the internet service provider for data usage in the video
conference sessions, the program is otherwise free.
Thank you to the participating carer
Carers will be offered $50 voucher of their choice as a thank you at the end of the project.
How often will the project be run:
The program will be offered in early 2019.
The program is being offered by CQ University’s Caring for Carers of People with Dementia Project. The project aims to gather information about the response of isolated rural carers of older people with dementia to a video conference based outreach information and peer support program. A summary of the information gathered from the project will be available for participants when the project is finished.
This program is FREE for participants. It is funded by the Australian Government Department of Health Dementia and Aged Care Services Fund.
How to Register:
Carers who are interested in joining a program, or finding out more, can email or phone the Project Manager Atosha Clancy at [email protected] or on 0437 579 695.
- Download Flyer
- Link to webpage - https://carersnt.asn.au/events/caring-dementia-2018/
Carers NT are facilitating a Partners in Depression Program
What is Partners in Depression Program?
Is a group program tailored to people who support a person with depression.
Facilitated by Carers NT, the program is a free six week group program that aims to address the information and needs of those who live with or love someone experiencing depression.
The program covers a range of topics including:
- What is depression
- Treatments for depression
- Suicidality and self-harm
- How do you best support someone with depression
- Communication strategies
The program provides a forum in which to receive information and ask questions about depression and your support role, with others with similar experiences.
What are the benefits Partners in Depression?
Do you know, love or care for someone experiencing depression?
Did you know that those who love, care for or support people with depression can experience significant stress and are themselves at greater risk of developing mental health problems?
Would you be interested in finding out more about a program that is shown to be effective in supporting the partners, family members and friends of people with depression?
- Presenter Angela Van Roden is a Registered Psychologist and Facilitator of the Partners in Depression Program. Angela is a Carer Counsellor with Carers NT.
- Course Details To be eligible you must be registered as a Carer with Carers NT
- Session Details TBA - currently seeking Expressions of Interest
- Venue: Carers NT - 59 Bayview Blvd, Bayview
- How to register For further enquiries or to register please register your interest here (link to https://carersnt.asn.au/events/partners-in-depression-darwin/) or contact Angela Van Roden (Carer Counsellor) on 89444888 or 1800 242 636.